October 20, 2006

October.2006 prayer letter

C A M E R O N ' S __ P R A Y E R __ L E T T E R
O C T O B E R ___ 1 6 , ___ 2 0 0 6
S O . Z O
Sarah and I have been busy bees since I last wrote you! And so September passed without my usual correspondence; I apologize! However, it’s been a good kind of busy. The start to the year has been, I believe, one of the best in our history as h2o. The reason I say this is because we at h2o have been able to connect with students and others in a way not previously as easy for us. Much of this is due to the new location for the major chunk of our day-to-day activity: so.zo. I wrote to you about it in my last letter, but that was right at the start of our occupation, which seems so long ago now because of how much of a home it has become in the interim! Just the amount of time we spend in it compared to what we spent in the Waterhouse makes so.zo feel more like a home. We have it open for coffee, studying and just general hanging out from 10AM to 2PM every weekday, and then Open Mic is from 8 to 11PM on Friday nights. It’s closed Saturday and Sunday as far as the ‘business,’ but of course it houses the h2o service on Sunday nights. People have been able to connect more regularly in this space during the few weeks we’ve been there than, I would say, during any same amount of time in our old space. And it’s simply because we are more present.

This is a lesson from which we all can learn. I’m certainly not knocking the Waterhouse; I loved it and I was very sad to see it go (as I said in my June letter). However, as time has passed, more and more I’ve been able to see how little it was able to be used to truly connect with people. You know how a new house feels for a family when they first move in? It’s foreign and unfamiliar. But you start to fill it with things that are part of you, that you love, and you sit and move about in the rooms, just living your life, and pretty soon you stop and look around and say with a smile, ‘This is our home.’ In three years, we never quite got to that point with the Waterhouse, primarily because it was used more as an event location rather than a ‘living space.’ With so.zo, it’s quickly approaching that home-feel already. Our leadership team especially has helped it become this way, constantly giving their talents and time to maintain the warm atmosphere. It’s definitely more work for all of us, but it forces us to be available for anyone who might walk in off the street. We’re right in the thick of the downtown life now, though we’re only about 20 yards from where we were! But people can see us now; that big storefront window makes our lives more visible to anyone who wants to peek in. We get people stopping by all the time, asking what this place is. So pray for those curious people, and pray that we never tire of inviting people to a place of salvation, healing and rescue (which, by the way, is what the Greek word sozo means).
S U P P O R TI wanted to let you know about some awesome extra help Billy, Ryan and I have been given as the staff of h2o. Of course we have a wonderful team of volunteers, comprised mostly of students and young professionals. But so far, there has been no one else able to commit to full time labor with us, until now. I have known Brian and Megan Shope for a number of years as ministry workers with Trinity Episcopal Church (right across the parking lot from the Waterhouse) through an organization not dissimilar to GCM called CCO (Coalition for Christian Outreach). Their work has been centered through that church and they’ve always worked with college students, but this year they’ve decided to join forces with h2o and become part of our leadership team. They are passionate about the gospel and transforming peoples’ lives, especially those in this town who have few friends or anyone to care and provide for their needs. They provide a LOT of richness that I believe we needed. And it’s nice for me and Sarah to have a married couple with which to work alongside! Please pray for them in their new roles.

F A M I L Y
October is a great time for family get-togethers for us, partly because my birthday is on the 29th. But even more than that, I always greatly anticipate Forest Festival in our hometown of Elkins, WV. These are 2 of my brothers, Duncan and Christopher, at the event. Thank you for the family of support you’ve become for me! In Christ, Cameron
forestfestival2006.brothers, originally uploaded by camkingh2o.

No comments: