June 12, 2006

Nags Head

Hello! If you're wondering why I haven't posted in over a week (which you may not be since I often do so; but just in case--), it's 'cause I've been at the beach! Sarah and I went with my family to Nags Head in the Outer Banks (OBX), NC. My family loves the Outer Banks. We have in the past gone more to Duck Beach, which is to the north of Nags Head, as you can see in this nifty map. Nags Head is home to Jockey's Ridge, the largest sand dune in America, and our house was literally right across from it! When we stayed at Duck in the past, we would always come down for an evening at the dunes and at the store Kitty Hawk Kites which is right next to it (even though Kitty Hawk is the name of another little town to the north -- confusing, I know). Anyway, it was so cool being right by the dunes because we could go whenever we wanted; they're awesome. The beach was right behind the beach house we rented as well. That's what's so cool about the Outer Banks: they're just a narrow strip of land with the ocean and the sound on either side. You really feel like you're just floating on some kind of ship made of land. We were also nearer to Manteo, which we visited more than once. It's this beautiful, quaint community with a great bookstore and coffee shop. I think it still has somewhat of a colonial feel. It's named for the Native American who was a great aid to the Englishmen who established the first English colony in the Americas there on Roanoke Island in 1587. It's also the home of The Lost Colony, America's first and longest running (now in their 69th season) outdoor drama, which recounts and dramatizes the events of the strange disappearance of the 120 people who occupied the colony. To this day it's still a mystery what exactly happened. The drama was beautiful; it was set among real trees and you could see the water of the sound behind the stage. It was dusk when it started and as the stars came out and the sky darkened... it was quite something to see.

Anyway, Sarah and I had a great time on the vacation. I'll put some pictures up of it next week. I have to wait till then because Sarah has the camera this week at Young Life camp (Rockbridge) in Virginia, which she went straight to from the beach. I miss her very much, more than I can express, and life feels quite empty without her. But I'm so proud of the work she's doing with the MHS girls, and camp is an amazing week in an attending high school student's life. All the same, when she gets back late on Friday I will be giddy as a school boy!

More later this week...

No comments: