June 16, 2006

MySpace

And hello again! I promised I would make another post this week, so here I am! I've got some exciting news. As you know (if you read this blog), I'm a big fan of music and love to create songs. Well, now I have a great outlet for some of these songs to be heard. I've created a music profile on myspace.com! I really had no idea how many artists (and people) are on myspace; everybody from the most well-known artists to tiny little independents like myself. So it seems a great place to share music and let yourself be known to people who never would otherwise! I've got a couple ROUGH songs on there right now, but hopefully later this summer I'll have a few more (slightly) professional ones done. I've added the link to the page to the right: it's www.myspace.com/cameronkingmusic. Please check it out and tell some friends! My siblings have myspace accounts as well as a number of friends, and you can view their profiles from my page. It's a great way to stay connected with people.

I wanted to paste the little bio I wrote up for myspace here as well, because it expresses well (I hope) some of what drives me toward songwriting and music. Enjoy!

'I love Melody. No, not a girl (my wife's name is Sarah), but Melody, that mysterious and beautiful vessel on which is carried the tones and sounds and rhythms of Song which every human being finds elemental and substantial in life. What culture or people group or tribe of any era in history doesn't have songs and arrangements and chants that tell the story, with or without words, of their time? Song is something, I believe, that goes beyond our subjective experience here and speaks (or sings!) of something distinct and original and wholly other than us, 'further back and higher up' to quote a great mind of the 20th century, into the very throneroom of He who boomed forth the first Song which now reverberates through everything into eternity.

The pursuit of Melody in song, which is ever new and ever elusive, is something I find to give me some of the greatest joy in life. To attempt to echo, however pale it might be, but to echo nonetheless back to Him some of what He's revealed to us of His Song is exciting and fulfilling for me. Thus the new creation of a song will always supercede in importance its skillful performance; the latter may happen with a broken voice on an out-of-tune guitar in the corner of a dark room, but the song itself will still be intact, just as strong and just as whole. I am a songwriter.

I write songs about life and love and pain and mystery and joy and beauty, trying to touch on what we're all sorting through and hopefully giving someone something they can take hold of, something that connects them with Truth in a way that is hard to define but is perhaps more real in the realm of Music than anywhere else. Sometimes the subtle and haunting turnings of a melody can be more powerful than the words attached to them. I will occasionally leave the fashioning of these words to others more talented, as I will with the performances of some. But some will be my own feeble offerings and will be what they will be. I hope my songs help my life and others' lives to be more rich and colorful and reveal a bit of the world as it truly is, which is often hidden.'

No comments: