February 20, 2006

Invisible Children and the King's Way

________________________________________
Some of you may have heard about Invisible Children already, and I hope it's had the impact on your life that it's had on mine. I'm still sorting out what exactly I'm best suited to do about it, but for now I will definitely at least support my sister Colleen's endeavors and passion in this matter. The link to her xanga blog is on my page here, and now I've added the link to the Invisible Children website at her request.

Invisible Children is a documentary that was made a couple years ago by three young American men, and this December it's hitting theaters nationwide in a fuller version (the documentary that now exists is considered a 'rough cut,' but it's what I've seen and it's quite moving; I can't wait for the feature-length one!). These guys went to Africa with the mission of exposing many of the unknown effects of war in the Sudan region and ended up finding a story in Uganda that they couldn't believe. Their lives were changed and now they're using their lives and great talents to let the world know about the conditions of many people, especially children, that until now were virtually invisible.

The rough cut is being shown around the nation mostly at college campuses; my sister was able to bring it to WVU a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the guys couldn't make it themselves, which they usually do, but it still had a great impact and many more people are on board now in the Morgantown area to help in any way they can. There's contact info on the site if you have the vision to bring it to your town.

When you see it, you will have the pervasive wrenching in your gut that says, 'This is not right. This isn't the way the world is supposed to be.' It awakens something that is inside all of us, something that is able to discern between right and wrong and realizes that we are in a place where right is not prevailing for the most part. And yet it springs hope that right can prevail, and that perhaps even I, in some small way, can be a part of that change. Keep searching this Way, as I have, and you will find that there is a King who has already come into this world and has shown us how to live it...

1 comment:

colleen king said...

nice post cameron. i think we're going to show the film at chestnut ridge sometime soon.