December 27, 2011

KIVA: loans for life

Hi friends! Just wanted to shoot out a quick few words on KIVA, another one of these amazing organizations that's cropped up in the last decade to help Americans and everyone with excess to administer justice to those with lack.

It's very simple: you make a loan in increments of $25 to any of KIVA's approved borrowers from around the world and BOOM! you've made a difference. KIVA takes care of the rest: they make sure there is a specific money goal for the borrower for a specific business need and keep them on a specific payback schedule.

I just made my fifth loan (I received a KIVA loan as a gift a few years ago, and every time the borrower pays it all back, I lend it again) to this lovely group running a restaurant in Uganda. I was drawn to them because the boss lady's name is Annet (my mom's name is Annette) and she's 54 years old (you guessed it--so is my mom).

If you feel inspired to get started on this amazing microloan adventure, click here or on the KIVA graphic above.

No comments: