June 28, 2010

Byrd

I am not a political man in the least. I do vote during presidential elections and occasionally for other major offices, but I'm really just not bent toward the whole thing.

So I will not attempt
, even in the smallest way, to assess ANYTHING that was 'good' or 'bad' about Senator Robert C. Byrd's long senatorial career.

I think I have an 'old romantic' streak, and I was just really touched when I came across an interview of Byrd in 2006 a few months after his wife passed away at age 88. I really love hearing of great real-life love stories (Ronald and Nancy Reagan are another high-profile example), and I hope one day to be able to say something so eloquent about my Sarah.

On recalling his wife of nearly 69 years, Byrd said:
What a woman of grace... I have met queens and the wives of shahs and great women from all over the world... To me, to me now, this was the greatest woman I ever met in this world.

I loved her for 69 years. She was a sweetheart - [my] childhood sweetheart.
That's worth remembering! Brought me to tears.

1 comment:

Alise said...

What a beautiful sentiment. Like you, I love hearing those stories.

Thanks for sharing that quote!