October 17, 2007

elkins, part 1




I've been back to my hometown, Elkins, WV, three times in the last month. A real treat! I hadn't been for a while. On my first jaunt, Billy (my colleague) and Sarah and I got to relax at Billy's camper/cabin and get some good planning done for our ministry. Here's a few photos from this visit.

Only about 45 minutes down the road from this very place is Dolly Sods, a beloved escape for enthusiastic hikers, nature-lovers, and anyone who appreciates God's green earth. Hopefully by now you've heard about the missing Jacob Allen, an autistic 18-year-old whose family goes to my church, and hopefully, if you're a believer, you've been praying. He got seperated from his family around 2:30 on Sunday afternoon and hasn't been seen since, though they did find his hat on Tuesday. Here's the latest I've found on it: http://www.wdtv.com/home/ticker/10585127.html

It's odd when something so terrible and unsettling happens somewhere so beautiful and serene. We all desperately hope that Jacob is found any moment, unharmed, but I'm sure that no matter what happens Dolly Sods will always have an ominous feel for the Allen family.

If you are moved to help in any way, please follow the information given in the link to do what you can.

1 comment:

colleen said...

whoa. that butterfly picture is the bomb.